Work in Progress

Since last time I updated my blog, I have finished a few more flowers paintings. In this blog post, I am going to show you my technique and progress so far. My initial plan was to complete 12 of them, and they were supposed to hang next to each other on the wall (I was also going to paint the string you can see in the photograph I posted earlier and some of the studies). After my last tutorial before Easter, my plan has now changed and my new goal is to paint 64 (!) of them for the exhibition – filling a whole wall with dried flowers.

This is the process for most of my paintings; I start off studying the dried flower before I make a quick sketch of it in charcoal. After making the sketch (normally on the board already gessoed and painted), I fill in the big areas with a light background colour, to build up the layers in the painting. None of these flowers are finished yet, so I do have to work some more on them when I get back to the School of Art after Easter, but I do think they demonstrate how I normally work.

Here is one of my paintings which is basically finished and ready for the exhibition:

Advertisements

Staging an Exhibition

Today I helped staging an exhibition, Alternative Facts, that is being displayed at the School of Art from the 22 May until 29 September. This exhibition were a part of my undergraduate module “Staging an Exhibition” held by Harry Heuser. In the beginning of this semester, we chose three objects each and throughout this module, we have been taught how to write labels, introductory text panels and how to display the artwork.

Alternative Facts poster

If you are interested, you are very welcome to come and take a look at our exhibition!